USAf treats personal information it holds, collects and/or processes as private.
1. The personal data we collect
We collect personal information from:
- Visitors to our website
- Our members (the affiliated universities and their Vice-Chancellors)
- Individuals who sign up for mailing lists and bulletins, request information from us or use our services
- Assessment bodies for data subjects who seek places at member
- Delegates attending our events (meetings, workshops, conferences)
- Our staff
Personal data we routinely collect includes:
- Postal address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Institutional affiliation
For our employees we will also collect:
- Demographic data
- Medical data
- Diversity monitoring data
- Bank account details
- Identity and income tax numbers
For meeting and conference delegates we will also collect:
- Dietary and access requirements
2. Use of personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Meet our responsibilities to you;
- Process your personal information to provide services to you, member and affiliated higher education institutions/ universities and to USAf structures;
- Comply with applicable
We will only disclose your personal information:
- if the law requires it;
- we have a public duty to disclose the information;
- our or your legitimate interests require disclosure; or
- you agreed that we may disclose your information.
We do not buy data from third parties.
4. The purpose for collecting data
We use the data to keep in touch with individuals interested in the higher education sector. This could include: People working in higher education institutions, or organisations connected to higher education; political, business, media, and policy contacts; and attendees at our conferences and events. For our named members and their PA’s, we will use data for administrative purposes to manage membership.
We require all service providers to agree our privacy principles. We disclose personal information to third parties only where they are service providers to USAf, or we are required by law to do so, or where the disclosure is in your manifest interests.
6. Transfer across borders
We may store or transfer your personal information in other countries in special circumstances. If, and where we do so, we will ensure that we (a) the country has similar and adequate data protection safeguards or require the third party to agree to our privacy principles, associated policies, and practices.
7. Our security practices
We ensure that the data we hold is stored in such a way as to prevent loss, unauthorised destruction and/or access to personal information by third parties.
8. Your rights as an individual
- ask us to tell you what of your personal information we hold;
- ask us to correct or update your personal information, or (unless we require it for a lawful purpose) to delete this; and/or
- unsubscribe from email communications at any time, using the unsubscribe button, or replying to emails with the instruction to be removed from a mailing
If you ask us to tell you what of your personal information we hold, we will tell you:
- whether or not your data is processed and if so why, the categories of personal data concerned and the source of the data if it is not collected from you;
- to whom your data is or may be disclosed, and the safeguards that apply to such transfers; and
- your right to complain to the Information Regulator if you think that USAf has failed to comply with your data protection rights.
You have other rights in relation to their personal data. You may require USAf to:
- rectify inaccurate data;
- stop processing or erase data that is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing; and
- stop processing or erase data if processing is
If you have a complaint you should report this to the Information Regulator Complaints to complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
Inquiries to: email@example.com.
Or to: P O Box 31533, Braamfontein. 2017
11. Date of this Privacy Statement
This statement was adopted by the USAf Board on 25 June 2021. It should be read together with the USAf Manual under the Promotion of Access to Information Act, available at www.usaf.ac.za